Edogawa Rampo - JAPANESE TALES OF MYSTERY vom japanischen Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Lionel

• Angemeldet: 29.06.02
    • I'm the King of Moonduk High!
      • Show only replies by Lionel
    Person

(1894-1965) hieß eigentlich Hirai Taro, mit der Wahl des literarischen Pseudonyms stattete er Edgar Allan Poe seinen Dank ab. Nachdem er sich auf verschiedenen Gebieten versucht hatte, erschien 1923 in der Zeitschrift »Shinseinen« (Neue Jugend) unter dem Titel »Die Zwei-Sen-Kupfermünze« (Nisen doka) die erste von zahlreichen Detektivgeschichten, mit denen er zum Vater dieses Genres in Japan wurde. Er gründete 1947 die Japanese Mystery Authors’ Association und seit 1953 wird jährlich für die beste japanische Krimigeschichte der »Edogawa-Rampo-Preis« verliehen. Zu den Preisträgerinnen und Preisträgern gehören Togawa Masako, Higashino Keigo oder Kirino Natsuo, deren Namen für Fans japanischer Literatur in aller Welt zum Begriff geworden sind. Zahlreiche Geschichten Edogawa Rampos sind auch verfilmt worden. (www.krimi-couch.de)

Japanese Tales of Mystery & Imagination

I can think of few more truly disturbing stories than Edogawa Rampo's "The Chair." A psychologically fable describing in minute detail how a master furniture maker, obsessed with an unachievable woman, creates a chair with himself hidden inside. This chair is given to the woman, and each time she sits in it she nestles unknowingly in his lap, puts her weight onto him, lays her head against his face. The furniture maker silently feels her every night, without her ever knowing. The atmosphere, the detail of the language, and the sheer nature of the story combine for one of the classics of this genre.

"The Chair" is of course included in "Japanese Tales of Mystery & Imagination," a compilation by the father of Japanese mystery writing. Much is made of his adopting the Japanese pronunciation of Edgar Allan Poe as his pen name, but Rampo's style is his own. He favors psychological horror, and there are few elements of the supernatural to be found. Sociopaths and obsessives seem to be his stock in trade, with detailed exercises on how to commit the perfect, untraceable murder. Many of the stories end with some unexpected revelation, although I would not call it a "twist ending." The obsessive nature of the stories renders them all the more disturbing, as almost every story is something that could conceivably happen.

In addition to the excellent "The Chair," you will find "The Caterpillar" featuring a cruel wife's abuse of her de-limbed husband, "The Cliff," a back-and-forth story that will leave you wondering who is manipulating who, "The Hell of Mirrors," a man obsessed with optics and reflecting surfaces descent into insanity, "The Red Chamber," revealing the true nature of those who are attracted to stories of others deaths, "The Two Crippled Men," a story of a murderous sleepwalker who commits crimes without ever knowing it and "The Traveler with the Pasted Rag Picture," the only story with a supernatural twinge, showing brotherly devotion and love of the unreal.

Each story in "Japanese Tales of Mystery & Imagination" is well-selected, and James B. Harris does a fine job with the translation, maintaining the tension and original intention. The only real shame is that this is the only collection of Rampo's works that has been translated into English. After reading this you will long for more.
    (Source: Zack Davisson, amazon.com)

Der japanische Edgar Allan Poe also. Sachen gibt's.. Mein Fazit nach dem Genuss dieser Kurzgeschichtensammlung fällt äußerst positiv aus. Die Geschichten erinnern stark an Poe, besitzen aber dennoch genugend Eigenständigkeit - und dabei erstaunlicherweise eine Qualität, die nahezu an Poe heranreicht!
    Vor allem die Kriminalgeschichten sind herausragend, sehr intelligent gestrickt und nahezu unerträglich spannend. Die andere große Sparte besteht aus von Perversionen geprägten Stories wie z. B. "Caterpillar", in der eine Frau ihren aus dem Krieg heimgekehrten Mann, der seine Gliedmaße verloren hat und nur noch vor sich hinvegetiert, psychisch und physisch missbraucht und foltert. Starker Tobak und nix für schwache Nerven.
    Diese Geschichte ist u. a. mit "The Hell of Mirrors" vor einigen Jahren unter dem Titel Rampo Noir u. a. mit Tadanobu Asano verfilmt worden. Review geisterte damals hier rum, ist zurzeit leider nicht verfügbar, aber vielleicht demnächst wieder. ;)

Fazit: Für alle Anhänger von Poe ein Erlebnis!

Oldboy - Save the Green Planet - My Sassy Girl - Once Upon a Time in High School - I Saw the Devil - The Man from Nowhere - Attack the Gas Station - Silmido - Taegukgi - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Shiri - Joint Security Area - R-Point - Bittersweet Life - Windstruck - Arahan - Crying Fist - City of Violence - Beat - Rush - Memories of Murder - The Host - Friend - The Foul King - A Tale of Two Sisters - The Good, the Bad, the Weird - Peppermint Candy - Thirst - Mother - The Quiet Family - Kick the Moon - 2009: Lost Memories - Geochilmaru - City of the Rising Sun - Barking Dogs Never Bite - Straßen der Gewalt - I'm a Cyborg, but that's ok - Bichunmoo - Musa - Bin Jip - Il Mare - Say Yes - Kilimanjaro - Fighter in the Wind - My Wife is a Gangster - Nowhere to Hide - Public Enemy - Into the Mirror - Tell Me Something - Hansel & Gretel - The Chaser - The Classic - The Way Home

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline Havoc

• Bürohengst sucht Paragraphenreiterin
    • Die Großen Alten
      • Let me show you its features, hehehe!
        • Show only replies by Havoc
      Wenn mir jetzt nur einfallen würde wo ich den Namen dieses Autors schon mal gelesen habe...
      Irgendwoher habe ich schon davon gehört und fand es interessant, bzw. jemand hat es mir empfohlen..
      “When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong.  I’m liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life.  Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend.  Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world”

Offline Lionel

Wenn mir jetzt nur einfallen würde wo ich den Namen dieses Autors schon mal gelesen habe...
        Irgendwoher habe ich schon davon gehört und fand es interessant, bzw. jemand hat es mir empfohlen..
        Wie gesagt, es gab schon einige Verfilmungen, die neueste davon Rampo Noir. Vielleicht klingt der Name von daher im Ohr nach. Oder er fiel mal im Zusammenhang mit dem Meister selbst. Mir hat der Name ehrlich gesagt gar nix gesagt, bis ich ein Review in der Splatting Image von Rampo Noir gelesen hab. War sicher nicht das letzte Buch, das ich von ihm gelesen habe.

Z. B.:

The Black Lizard and Beast in the Shadows

Moju - The Blind Beast

A deranged, scarred and sightless sculptor imprisons a model in a psychedelic labyrinth of giant sculpted eyes and other body parts, before dismembering her in a fearful blood-orgy. The blind killer continues his sexually-charged spree of amputation and decapitation, before presenting his work at an acclaimed art exhibition in which the sculptures are a little too life-like for comfort. One of the earliest literary examples of the Japanese ""erotic-grotesque"" genre, it is a classic of grinding horror and weird sex, tainted with a virulent black humour. (play.com)

Oldboy - Save the Green Planet - My Sassy Girl - Once Upon a Time in High School - I Saw the Devil - The Man from Nowhere - Attack the Gas Station - Silmido - Taegukgi - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Shiri - Joint Security Area - R-Point - Bittersweet Life - Windstruck - Arahan - Crying Fist - City of Violence - Beat - Rush - Memories of Murder - The Host - Friend - The Foul King - A Tale of Two Sisters - The Good, the Bad, the Weird - Peppermint Candy - Thirst - Mother - The Quiet Family - Kick the Moon - 2009: Lost Memories - Geochilmaru - City of the Rising Sun - Barking Dogs Never Bite - Straßen der Gewalt - I'm a Cyborg, but that's ok - Bichunmoo - Musa - Bin Jip - Il Mare - Say Yes - Kilimanjaro - Fighter in the Wind - My Wife is a Gangster - Nowhere to Hide - Public Enemy - Into the Mirror - Tell Me Something - Hansel & Gretel - The Chaser - The Classic - The Way Home

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline Lionel

Ah, Moju hab ich doch schon mal gehört...

http://www.ofdb.de/film/17620,Die-Blinde-Bestie

Laut Kessler sogar richtig gut.

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline Lionel

In der aktuellen Splatting Image ist übrigens ein netter Bericht über Rampo im Rahmen des Berichts über Regisseur Noboru Tanaka.

Meine Filmsammlung