Matthew Polly - American Shaolin -- eine wahre Geschichte

Offline Lionel

• Angemeldet: 29.06.02
    • I'm the King of Moonduk High!
      • Show only replies by Lionel
    American Shaolin: Flying Kicks, Buddhist Monks, and the Legend of Iron Crotch: An Odyssey in theNew China

http://www.amazon.de/American-Shaolin-Flying-Buddhist-Odyssey/dp/1592403379/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250935378&sr=1-1

From Publishers Weekly
    In this smoothly written memoir, 98-pound weakling Polly makes the age-old decision to turn his nerdy self into a fighting machine. Polly's quest for manhood leads this guy from Topeka, Kans., to the Shaolin Temple, ancient home of the fighting monks and setting for 10,000 chop-socky movies. As much a student of Chinese culture as he is a martial artist, Polly derives a great deal of humor from the misunderstandings that follow a six-foot-three laowai (white foreigner) in a China taking its first awkward steps into capitalism after Tiananmen Square. Polly has a good eye for characters and introduces the reader to a Finnish messiah, a practitioner of "iron crotch" kung fu, and his nagging girlfriend. We get the inside dope on Chinese dating, Chinese drinking games and a medical system apparently modeled on the Spanish Inquisition. The last hundred pages of the book lose focus, and Polly doesn't convincingly demonstrate how he transforms himself from a stumbling geek to a kickboxing stud who can stand toe-to-toe with the highest-ranked fighter in the world. Although Polly may fall short in sharing Shaolin's secrets, as a chronicler of human absurdity he makes all the right moves.

Pressestimmen
    “I loved American Shaolin.”
    —PJ O’Rourke

“An original and insightful book.”
    —Boston Globe

“Polly is an easy amateur to root for.”
    —Entertainment Weekly

“It takes a special kind of person to leave the comforts of Princeton University and move to rural China to smash his forearms against tree trunks. Meet Matthew Polly.”
    —NY Post

“I picked up American Shaolin and read it straight through. It is first rate. Polly’s book tells more about what's going on in China and has more insights into the real China than anything in recent years. It is a wonderful true-life story with profound, behind-the-headlines observations about Chinese life. A tip of the Stetson to Matthew Polly.”
    —Dan Rather

A must-read for armchair travelers and martial arts buffs alike, in AMERICAN SHAOLIN readers are sure to enjoy a memoir as unconventional as its author, Matthew Polly. For the uninitiated, Polly-- fed up with his 98 lb. weakling existence and bored with Princeton-- chucked the Ivy League life in order to pursue his dream of studying kungfu at the fabled Shaolin Temple. His time in China coincided with the crumbling of the walls that had kept the nation isolated, making the environment one particularly friendly to having a tall and gangly Midwesterner genially (if awkwardly) attempting to insert himself into the often mystifying local culture.

The result is a travelogue exploring the dawning of the "New China," combined with a memoir of a remarkable personal experience-- Polly's determination and sense of humor proved essential in his efforts to win over the skeptical Shaolin monks, who soon see the promise in their guest; the story evolves into a classic underdog story as Polly's martial skills develop, eventually taking him to national tournaments on the Shaolin team and earning him the honor of being invited to become a monk himself (reportedly the first and only time such an invitation has been made to an American).

Along the way, Polly wryly observes the peculiarities of Chinese culture and the Shaolin path, elucidates the storied history of kungfu, and introduces the reader to unforgettable personalities ranging from disgruntled Chinese gangsters to a monk whose "Iron Crotch kungfu" demands a daily training discipline that must be seen to believe (Polly helpfully includes his own photos to make this possible).

As entertaining and funny as it is educational and informative, AMERICAN SHAOLIN is a treat for fans of off-beat travelogues, anyone who loved "Crouching Tiger," Sinophiles in general, and just about anyone looking to take a trip off the beaten path. Don't miss it.
    (Jeffrey P. Wachs, amazon.com)

Eines der geilsten dokumentarischen Bücher, die ich je gelesen habe. Vielleicht das beste. Da es auch so dermaßen unterhaltsam und witzig geschrieben ist, dass ich es kaum fassen konnte.

Ein Buch, in dem man viel - sehr viel - über die chinesische Kultur lernen kann. Ein unsicherer, großgewachsener und spindeldürrer Amerikaner macht sich auf, um im Shaolin-Kloster zu sich selbst zu finden und sein Kung-Fu zu verbessern. Dabei stößt er auf viele Widerstände in dem kommunistischen Land und erfährt einen absoluten Kulturschock.

Und man selbst lernt auch einiges. So z. B., dass es nicht so ist wie im Film AMERICAN SHAOLIN (hat übrigens nix mit dem Buch zu tun), sondern dass einem einige Türen im Kloster geöffnet werden, wenn man nur genug Dollars hinblättert. So kauft sich auch Matthew seine Ausbildung im Shaolin-Kloster für hartes westliches Cash.
    Auch erfährt man, dass die Shaolin-Mönche eben auch nur Menschen sind. Sie geraten in Schlägereien, neiden einander z. T. den Erfolg, haben sexuelle Gefühle bzw. Beziehungen. Auch ist es für viele der jungen das größte, rauszukommen. So sind offensichtlich ein paar während einer ihrer Vorführungen in den USA "desertiert", um aus dem kommunistischen Land zu entkommen. Für einen anderen wäre es das größte, Kung Fu Filmstar zu werden.

Auch göttlich eine Szene, in der Matthew den Mönchen Van Damme-Filme zeigt und mit ihnen drüber diskutiert.

Matthew ist der erste Amerikaner, der zu einem Kampfturnier eingeladen wird und daran teilnehmen darf. Das hat er sich hart erarbeitet. Die ersten Tage sind für ihn so hart, dass er morgens nicht mal mehr aus dem Bett kommt und sich keinen Zentimeter bewegen kann. Genial! 8)
    Ebenso genial ist der IRON CROTCH-Mönch, der eine unglaubliche Last an sein Ding-Dong hängen kann (Fotos im Buch vorhanden, das ist der Hammer!).

Abgeschlossen wird das Buch, als Matthew 10 Jahre später nochmal ins Land kommt und allerlei Veränderungen feststellt.

Nichts daran ist fiktiv oder hat Romanacharakter, allles ist Matthews Tagebuch und seinen tatsächlichen Erfahrungen entnommen. Eine unglaubliche Leseerfahrung!

Oldboy - Save the Green Planet - My Sassy Girl - Once Upon a Time in High School - I Saw the Devil - The Man from Nowhere - Attack the Gas Station - Silmido - Taegukgi - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Shiri - Joint Security Area - R-Point - Bittersweet Life - Windstruck - Arahan - Crying Fist - City of Violence - Beat - Rush - Memories of Murder - The Host - Friend - The Foul King - A Tale of Two Sisters - The Good, the Bad, the Weird - Peppermint Candy - Thirst - Mother - The Quiet Family - Kick the Moon - 2009: Lost Memories - Geochilmaru - City of the Rising Sun - Barking Dogs Never Bite - Straßen der Gewalt - I'm a Cyborg, but that's ok - Bichunmoo - Musa - Bin Jip - Il Mare - Say Yes - Kilimanjaro - Fighter in the Wind - My Wife is a Gangster - Nowhere to Hide - Public Enemy - Into the Mirror - Tell Me Something - Hansel & Gretel - The Chaser - The Classic - The Way Home

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline JasonXtreme

• Let me be your Valentineee! YEAH!
    • Global Moderator
      • Weiter im Text...
        • Show only replies by JasonXtreme
      Das klingt mal richtig geil - und vor allem interessant! Das wird bei Zeiten definitiv mal zugelegt!
      Einmal dachte ich ich hätte unrecht... aber ich hatte mich geirrt.

Meine DVDs

Offline Lionel

Das klingt mal richtig geil - und vor allem interessant! Das wird bei Zeiten definitiv mal zugelegt!
        Ich würd fast sagen, schieb das dazwischen und hau's dir in naher Zukunft mal rein. Das Englisch ist ziemlich einfach (smalltalk-niveau), ne Übersetzung wird eh net kommen, und das Thema wirst du LIEBEN. ;)

Oldboy - Save the Green Planet - My Sassy Girl - Once Upon a Time in High School - I Saw the Devil - The Man from Nowhere - Attack the Gas Station - Silmido - Taegukgi - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Shiri - Joint Security Area - R-Point - Bittersweet Life - Windstruck - Arahan - Crying Fist - City of Violence - Beat - Rush - Memories of Murder - The Host - Friend - The Foul King - A Tale of Two Sisters - The Good, the Bad, the Weird - Peppermint Candy - Thirst - Mother - The Quiet Family - Kick the Moon - 2009: Lost Memories - Geochilmaru - City of the Rising Sun - Barking Dogs Never Bite - Straßen der Gewalt - I'm a Cyborg, but that's ok - Bichunmoo - Musa - Bin Jip - Il Mare - Say Yes - Kilimanjaro - Fighter in the Wind - My Wife is a Gangster - Nowhere to Hide - Public Enemy - Into the Mirror - Tell Me Something - Hansel & Gretel - The Chaser - The Classic - The Way Home

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline JasonXtreme

• Global Moderator
          • Weiter im Text...
          Tue ich definitiv, aber ich muss es ja erstma koofen :D

Meine DVDs

Offline Lionel

American Shaolin is durch - mehr im Fred

:think:

:)  ;)

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline JasonXtreme

• Global Moderator
              • Weiter im Text...
              Ups, kommt noch :D

Meine DVDs

Offline Lionel

Das gibts nicht auf Deutsch, oder?
                Klingt echt mal gut.

Meines Wissens nach nicht.

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline JasonXtreme

• Global Moderator
                  • Weiter im Text...
                  Es steht ja eigentlich schon alles oben. Ich kann und muss Gert hier einfach nur beipflichten. Ich kenne zwar noch nicht sehr viele Bücher in der Art - aber dieses hier ist einfach super sympatisch geschrieben und es macht nur Spaß es zu lesen. Matthew gibt die ganze Geschichte einfach sehr lebensecht zum Besten. Man kann teils echt mitfühlen, wenn er sich dank Training nicht mehr bewegen kann... Auch die Einblicke in die Welt der Shaolin öffnet einem mehr als nur die Augen!!! Da saß ich teils sicher mit offenem Mund vorm Buch, wenn ich mich nicht grade über eine der zig witzigen Stellen weggelacht habe. Wer sich für chinesische Kultur und die Shaolin im spziellen interessiert MUSS dieses Buch lesen! Mehr geht nicht!

Obendrein die Fotos, die einem verdeutlichen, was für eine Wurst Matthew damals war und die Jungs sehen zu können, von denen er da so schreibt.... Super gemacht. Er hat übrigens auch eine Website, für Interessierte: http://www.mattpolly.com/ auch sehr schön aufgemacht, teils mit Bildern aus dem Buch und auch anderen...

Wenn das auf deutsch kommen würde, würd ichs glatt nochmal lesen. Auf englich hab ich doch so meine Zeit gebraucht - aber es ist echt einfach zu lesen und super verständlich!

Meine DVDs

Offline Lionel

Cool, dass es dir gefallen hatte (ich wusst es doch). :biggrin:

Mann, ich stöber grad auf der Seite..der Kerl war ja zu Beginn echt ein halbes Hemd..

:shock:

Meine Filmsammlung

Offline JasonXtreme

• Global Moderator
                      • Weiter im Text...
                      Sach ich doch, das is der Hungerhaken schlechthin :lol: wie der DAS Alles durchgehalten hat ist mir ein persönliches Rätsel!

Meine DVDs

Offline Lionel

___________________________________________________________

Meine Filmsammlung